In short, yes and no.

Before you can get a coherent answer to your question, I will ask you "why".

I.E. What are you looking for from a "unified buffer cache" - mmap coherency?

Because things are being worked on, however we just may not be doing
it the way you are thinking.

So let me be clear - UBC is a particular way of implementing things.
What "things" are you looking
for from UBC - because we may already be doing that without UBC.