2010/2/5 Ted Unangst <ted.unan...@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Jeff Ross <jr...@openvistas.net> wrote:
>> kern.shminfo.shmall=512000
>> kern.shminfo.shmmax=768000000
>
> Oh, when I said it was safe to crank shmmax I didn't know you'd be
> setting the bufcache to huge numbers too.  ;)

Furthermore, postgres documentation recommends not set shared buffers
to big values, because postgres itself depends on buffer caches (it
suppose that buffer cache is big).

Jeff, since you can set buffer cache to about 90% of RAM then you can
set chared buffers to something not so big... say, 256Mb or so (I just
show the way, not exact values), and decrease shmall/shmmax. And set
postgres parameter effective_cache_size to estimated size of your
buffer cache.
After that postgres will actively use your buffer cache, I suppose.
And then you will show some results to us, right?
Interesting to see if all these will prove things what documentation says
:-).
--
antonvm