On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:34:14PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Luis Henriques <luis.hen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Probably, a silly question, but here it goes:
> >
> > With this patch, I will not be able to set the perflevel to, say, 50% and
> > keep the system using that performance level forever.  Is this correct?
> > I guess that with current apmd we are able to do this.
> >
> > If both of these two statements are true (maybe they are not!), we should
> > also have a mechanism to disable this code (either at runtime or compile
> > time).
>
> You are correct, but I wonder why you would ever want a machine only

I warned: it was a silly question! :-)

> running at 50% all the time.  When it is busy, it's still slow, and
> when it's not, it's still using power.  We are thinking that states
> other than 0 and 100 are not very useful.  But this is not the final
> diff.  It will probably have some means of control eventually, until
> then, it'd be nice if people evaluated if this meets their needs.

I have only one concern: usually I use apmd with the '-C' flag in my
laptop.  _But_ sometimes I actually need to force the performance level
to the lowest possible even with the CPU quite busy.  I need to do this
because of overheating.

For example, if I am compiling the kernel, my laptop will overheat and
shutdown.  So, I need to run apm -L in order to keep the temperature
lower.

This patch will probably just force me to seek for another solution for
this problem.

Running apm -L is not the best thing anyway...

--
Luis