Am 30.03.2011 15:23, schrieb Claudio Jeker:
> Buffers below 8k are stupid. For TCP just use 32k or even 64k. 512byte
> buffers are silly. They get internally rounded up since the smallest
> packet seems to be 512bytes data plus header. This will give you TCP send
> and recv buffers of around 1200bytes. No wonder it is slow as hell.

Throughput isn't the issue. The system gets unusable with sizes < 2048.
The machine freezes, it takes a couple of seconds for the next shell
prompt to appear, like under really heavy load (I'd say way >30).

Of course bufsizes that small make no sense and your patch eliminates
the lock ups, but the they show there is still some bug. I'd expect slow
nfs transfers but not the behavior as if under heavy load. (*)

This is just to let to know, maybe you want to have a further look.

Why did I test with small buffer sizes too? Well, I got another email
which said about the mount options, obviously regarding the buffer sizes:

"When you jackfuck that knob with other values, what is the result?
 Troubleshooting isn't only for others, son!"

A reminder that this is an OpenBSD list... ;-)
Luckily I always make sure to have my asbestos on when dealing with!

Walter

PS: (*) No, I'm sorry, I don't have a patch that fixes that.