On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:14:46PM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> So here's an initial, only lightly tested diff.
>
> Beware, this very well could eat your filesystems.
>
> To note any difference, you should use the -p mode of fsck_ffs (rc
> does that) and the fs should have been mounted with softdep.
>
> I have seen very nice speedups already.

But don't count yourself a rich man too soon: for ffs2 filesystesm,
you won't see a lot of speedup, because inode blocks are allocated
on-demand there, so a filesystem with few inodes used likely has few
inode blocks.

Also, depending on the usage patterns, you might have a fs where high
numbered inodes are used, while the fs itself is pretty empty. Filling
up a fs with lots of files and them removing a lot of them is an
example that could lead to such a situation. This diff does not speed
things up in such cases.

        -Otto