On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 11:05:34PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
<Mark counters my objections>

Mark, you make very valid points - my comments were more in the 'food
for thought' department: we run deamons by default while some are
never used by certain users.  Doesn't harm them.

| > But I like the idea of a working default setup that also includes
| > working audio.
|
| Funny, but audio works fine on my laptop without aucat.  Guess the
| hardware supports the most common formats in hardware.  And I bet
| that's the case on most laptops produced in this century.

Obviously, for you 'works fine' excludes playing multiple simultaneous
audio streams (a sentiment I largely agree with).  But because you and
I don't use or want it, does not mean others do not have a (valid) use
for it.  And it wouldn't harm you if it was running on your machine.

| > It would be nice if aucat didn't start when there was no sound
| > hardware.  And it doesn't:
| >
| >     [weerd@despair] $ sudo aucat -l -fsun:0
| >     aucat: sun:0: can't open device
| >     sun:0: failed to open audio device
| >
| > So your server in the datacenter won't be running aucat afterall.
|
| Only if it is a proper server ;)  Most i386/amd64 "servers" do have
| sound hardware.

The new i386/amd64 servers I see (mostly dell and ibm) do not have
audio(4).  This has been the case for some time already, in my
experience.  (still wouldn't really label them "proper", but that's
another story)

| So I'm not convinced we should enable aucat unconditionally.  Wouldn't
| it make some sense to enable aucat on systems that run X?

I actually like that idea.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/