On 4-12-2011 13:01, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> the default maximum size of the tcp send and receive buffer used by the
> autosizing algorithm is way too small, when trying to get maximum speed with
> high bandwidth and high latency connections.

I have tweaked SB_MAX on a system too, but it was for UDP.

When running a busy Unbound resolver, the recommendation is too bump the
receive buffer to 4M or even 8M. See
http://unbound.net/documentation/howto_optimise.html

Otherwise a lot of queries are dropped when the cache is cold.

I don't think there's a magic value that's right for everyone, so a
sysctl would be nice.  Maybe separate ones for tcp and udp.

I know similar sysctl's have been removed recently, and that they are
sometimes abused, but I'd say we have two valid use cases now.

So I'd love some more discussion.  :-)

--
Cam