Hi,

Lawrence Teo wrote on Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:14:54AM -0400:

>  .Pp
> -The
>  .Fn inet_aton
> -routine interprets the specified character string as an Internet address,
> +interprets the specified character string as an Internet address,
>  placing the address into the structure provided.

I dislike macros at the beginnings of sentences, they prevent proper
capitalization.  Properly capitalized sentences read better and are
easier to find in the text.  When i revise a manual (for unrelated,
more important reasons), i often do the reverse of what you are
proposing here.

Finding the functions names is not really an issue, they are
set in bold face and stick out well from the text.

Consistency with respect to "routine" and "function" can't hurt,
in particular when writing a new manual or when revising an
existing one (and i'd probably slightly prefer "function"), but
i'm not sure it will be worth the effort to try to find and fix
all these cases.  Certainly, it shouldn't be done mechanically,
there might be exceptions.

Yours,
  Ingo