Gilles Chehade <gilles <at> poolp.org> writes:
> Also, restarting a daemon that has crashed because of an exploit means
> you expose it again with maybe less luck next time (kindly reminded by
> mail

Right, that's a valid point. In that case you'd only want an email to be sent.

Either way, my script is from experience in production environments where
daemons usually died for silly reasons which had nothing to do with break in
attempts. A script like this is the difference between angry customers calling
you out of bed in the middle of the night and waking up in the morning reading
emails about services which stopped for no good reasons and nobody but me
noticing while still being able to analyse and fix the problem.

I'll ponder on your remarks and see if I come up with something.

# Han