On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:23:13AM +0300, Eugene Yunak wrote:
> On 11 September 2012 09:37, Antoine Jacoutot <ajacou...@bsdfrog.org> wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Isn't think better placed in passwd?
> >> At least Linux and Solaris (since 5.6 i believe) have this as -l and
> >> -u in passwd(1),
> >> so this might be a better option to keep it consistent with other
> >> systems. HP-UX
> >> only implements -l; I haven't checked others.
> >
> > It is consistent; this is how usermod works in linux as well.
>
> Isn't it better to be consistent with most Unix systems and not just Linux?
> The world is Linux-centric enough already and an OpenBSD should know it
> better than anyone else ;)

FreeBSD and NetBSD do the same (i.e. lock using usermod).
I don't really care about HP-UX compatibility... and I don't understand your
comment about "OpenBSD should know it better"; what is it you want exactly?
As I said, I have a use for it using usermod(8). If you have a use for it with
passwd(1) then provide a diff.

Each Unix has a slightly different useradd/mod/del ... command you know.

> >> OpenBSD passwd already uses -l to restrict passwd to local files only
> >> though so
> >> you would still need to use a different letter (as you do with
> >> usermod) but at least
> >> passwd(1) is where most unix admins would look for this option first.
> >
> > This diff is for the usermod part, not passwd; both are different things.
>
> I don't get it - how are they "different things"? Both manipulate shadow.

And so does vipw(8).
Look this is a diff for _usermod_. If you want to add flags to passwd(1), then
just do so, I have no problem with it.

--
Antoine