>> Basically, we have a pattern, mostly observed with kde (and a bit with
>> gnome) which is really harmful for us.
>
>> They occupy a few people in our team FULLTIME with respect to gnome, they're
>> the reason we still DON'T have a full kde4 in our tree (hopefully to be
>> addressed shortly), and they're the reason why sometimes we do drop old
>> stuff (like killing gtk+1, and people really wanting to kill some gtk2/qt3
>> stuff).
>
>> It's also quickly turning Posix and Unix into a travesty: either you have
>> the linux goodies, or you don't. And if you don't, you can forget anything
>> modern...
>>

> Not to disparage the hard work by Antoine and others on Gnome and KDE, but if
> upstream are going to entwine their code with non-standard OSs, then why
> bother with them? If everyone but the mainstream Linux distros dropped their
> projects, it seems a more likely way of getting through to the upstream
> developers than joining their project or sending them emails.

eventually they get the message but sometimes its too late.

> I use Joe's Window Manager, it compiles in less than a minute straight from
> the sources with no patching or tweaking. I don't have semi-transparent
> windowbars and I had to make a couple of tweaks so I could hear a "beep" when
> I get an IM, apart from that, what can a "modern" window manager do that is
> worth the some porter's pain (and extra 10-20% cpu consumption to run) anyway?
>
> Stuff like X is a different matter, if upstream must be battled, I would say
> send the troops to defend what is hard to do without, not what is easy to do
> without.

I care about some things in kde4 like kdevelop/kate, educational apps
for kids (very few mainstream distros bother for children), for qt4/5
the ability to write a single code for mobile + desktop amongst some
things. There are some things in the big WMs which are missing in JWM
:-) Probably other guys have different motivations.