On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:05:05 +0100 (CET), Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:54:20 +0200
> > From: Paul Irofti <p...@irofti.net>
> > I don't understand how, can you go into more details please?
> >
> > Anyway, can we then just ignore the -pg option if it doesn't work for
> > shared instead of breaking the link? Or do you have a better solution?
>
> Perhaps ld shouldn't set link_info.shared to FALSE when it sees -nopie?

At the ld level, it basically breaks down to the question what the
desired behaviour is when nonsensical combinations of -nopie and -shared
are encountered.  At the moment, -nopie cancels out a previously
encountered -shared, so

ld -shared -nopie ...

will try to generate a non-shared, non-pie object, while

ld -nopie -shared ...

will behave the same as "ld -shared".  I think this is the behaviour
most people would expect, but I might be wrong.  Other opinions?