On 4/12/2013 3:08 AM, Alexander Hall wrote:
On 04/12/13 08:40, Jason McIntyre wrote:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:30:16AM +0200, Alexander Hall wrote:
  .It AR5212
  These devices support 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g operation with
  transmit speeds as above for 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g operation
-(802.11g speeds are the same as for 802.11a speeds).
+(802.11g speeds are the same as 802.11a speeds).
  .El
  .Pp
  All chips also support an Atheros Turbo Mode (TM) that operates
in the

hmm. i don;t think this is grammatically incorrect at all. it might
sound strange to some ears, i guess. but wrong? why is it wrong?

Cause the 802.11a speeds don't have speeds? Admittedly I'm not a native
speaker, but I'd agree with the OP.

it's not saying that. it says, in essence, that 11g speeds are the same
as for (the) 11a speeds (listed above). it is omitting parts that
can be left out because the intent should be fairly obvious.

"11g speeds are the same as for the 11a speeds listed above" is still awkward due to its wordiness. You can just say "11g and 11a speeds are the same." And the "for" still really bothers my ears in that sentence.

The omitted parts didn't bother me, it's the "for" that doesn't make
sense in my head, as that makes me read "I have the same number of socks
as your socks [do]", implying that the socks have socks, instead of "I
have the same number of socks as you [do]".

Anyway, this isn't a bikeshed I'm very attached to. Just emptying my
pockets of pennies.

i guess we can reword it if folks think it sounds odd (or wrong ;) but
if i had to do that, i'd say it'd sound better as "the same as those
for
802.11a".

We can go this route. ok for me too. Like Alex, I'm not attached to this. Just pointing out my thoughts.

~Brian