quite a few people have seen that one, where fetch grabs a file, and
the main engine starts building while the file is not there yet.

What actually happened is that there was some misguided caching optimization
with respect to fetch objects, and the object was marked as okay as soon
as we asserted the checksum was alright... and the main engine would fire
up the build. BUT fetch actually stages the fetch into a file.part temporary
file, and moves it to the actual file name as a last step (*after* the
checksum was verified), so you ended up with the object saying "okay,
I'm cheksummed (the temp file is okay), the build engine starting the build,
re-checksumming the same file (hey, it's not in the cache) and either failing
(okay the file has not been moved yet) or checksumming it for nothing (the
rename and cache move happened too late)...

The diagnostic specifics took longer than the actual fix...

*IF* you still see fetch trouble in dpb, then that would *definitely* be
NFS's fault. :)