On 07/21/13 11:31, Jason McIntyre wrote:
On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:19:49AM +0200, Alexander Hall wrote:

regarding your diff... i don't know this stuff well enough to be
able to say whether your moving stuff around makes sense, and whether
you're moving it to the right place. note, for example, that
ssh-agent(1) now documents SSH_ASKPASS, though it does not have an
ENVIRONMENT section. and ssh-add(1), which does, and which documents
SSH_ASKPASS, does not now directly refer to that environment variable.

I noticed that about ssh-agent did not have an ENVIRONMENT section, but
decided to keep style rather than rewriting the lot. The man pages could
probably use a rather thorough overhaul.

are you sure, for example, that just changing -c from "indicates"
to "indicates that ssh-agent(1)" wouldn;t be enough? not saying it
would, just asking. but your diff feels incomplete.

I don't think so. It would still say "Confirmation is performed by the
SSH_ASKPASS program mentioned below." which to me implies that it's the
environment of ssh-add that is being referred to.

well, having an ENVIRONMENT section in ssh-add(1) which documents
SSH_ASKPASS kind of implies that it's the environment of ssh-add that is
being referred to too. i don;t see how you can separate one part, but
not the other.

SSH_ASKPASS in ENVIRONMENT is still relevant and indeed refers to ssh-add's environment, but is merely used for the passphrase, not for subsequent key usage confirmation. The latter is however subject to ssh-agent's environment.

My diff removes the SSH_ASKPASS reference in ssh-add(1)'s -c option, since it's actually none of it's business (and adds the Xr for further reading).

/Alexander

jmc