On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:49:30AM +0200, InterNetX - Robert Garrett wrote:
> The real problem here is that in order to be added to certain lists
> of trusted PKI providers, you must be audited by security Assessors
> one of the things they look for is proof that the software your
> using isnt tampered with.
>
> It appears the OP is trying to solve that issue. EVEN using the CD
> is not enough to convince some of these people that the software is
> genuine and untampered with.
>
> pgp signed sha256 keys in a public accessible place should do it.
>
> Though it would seem to me, that if the sha signature is the same on
> all the mirrors through openbsds distribution channels that would be
> verification enough. As then you would have to break into a lot of
> systems ran by very pedantic, system admins in order to change it on
> all of them.
>
> But let me repeat it isnt the OPS idea of security that is
> important, its the idea of the people they are paying a lot of money
> to, and the rules implemented by such companies as Microsoft that
> are important here.

And the ideas of the people they are paying a lot of money to are one or
more of

a) wrong.
b) arbitrary.
c) unknown.

As you say --- "... should do it.". And how will we know it does
it?  Who will the security assessors accept as valid guarantors?
Theo? Bob? Austin? The Foundation? Resellers? Anybody running a
mirror? Some threshold number of developers? There is no entity
that owns or can be held responsible for the code, or is capable
of providing a solid evidentuary path from commit to your hands.

And the OpenBSD community is not some collective Zelig.

.... Ken