On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 07:19:34PM +0200, Mike Belopuhov wrote:
> either way, we need to move forward on this.  we want to use if_index
> for the purpose of looking up the interface w/o a pointer to the ifnet.
> should we implement additional indices for that or snmp problem will
> be dealt with?  currently if you reuse an index and reuse the memory
> for the ifnet you may suddenly pick a new interface and perform an
> operation on it that might not necessarily make sense in the context.

You should check all cloners and make sure that they don't have to be
recreated for any of the options.  tun(4) should be updated.  I did it
for vlan(4)/svlan(4) with rev 1.86 + 1.87 in 2011.  Are there any
others left?  As an alternative to reusing if_index, it would even be
nice to be able to completely reset the configuration of any interface
without recreating it - even for physical interfaces like WLAN or
Ethernet.  This allows you to start over with the interface
configuration without loosing its if_index or reference.

Reyk