* Mike Belopuhov <m...@belopuhov.com> [2013-09-12 17:54]:
> it makes no sense whatsoever, reyk.  those indices can be easily
> stolen and nobody guarantees that if you create vlan10, vlan11,
> then destroy vlan10, create vlan12 and vlan10 that vlan10 will
> have the same index as before.  in fact it might be a different
> interface created for a different purpose days after.  who knows?
> if snmp client relies on this behavior, it's broken since we have
> never made any provisions regarding how we use those indices.

correct.

however, it is not reyk who's on drugs here, it's snmp itself. using
the OS-private ifindex and making assumptions about it is the root
problem. but since that's in the standards, there are only 2 possible
solutions I see:
-keep trying to please snmp in the way we assign ifindex
-let snmpd (or sth else) make up ifindices just for that purpose

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP