On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 09:26:47PM -0700, Philip Guenther wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013, Martin Pelikan wrote:
> > Obviously, our locale support still sucks, this patch is mostly
> > providing the API for filling the blanks later.

Which blanks exactly? Locale features we don't have, such as collation?

Locale support sucks because most base applications don't make use of it.
Adding more stuff to libc won't fix that.

> How much did the ramdisks grow by when you built release with this?
> Having just freed up a bunch of space on the ramdisks, I'll be pissed if
> we squander it all immediately.

The only locale code that belongs on the ramdisks is in
/usr/src/distrib/special/libstubs/{mbrtowc_sb.c,setlocale}.c.
These are required for vfprintf(). Anything else should not
be built into the ramdisk to avoid pulling in citrus as a dependency.

I'm not very excited about xlocale. If the only goal here is an API
shim to compile a C++ library, can't we put the shim somewhere else
than libc? Like the misc/libutf8 port we used to have?