FreeBSD propose to have a specific routing table for a process, which is
even more powerful.
When the router has multiple gateway i guess when a source address is
choose the route should be chosen given that. Nothing more.

What use of this <<improvement>> do you imagine ?, of course you may want
this traffic over this network(low latency) and the other one on
another(high badnwith), put you may use pf for this, or specific route for
the services.

Writing about this make me think you want a route that <select> on the PORT
instead of the IP. Is this madness ???

<<route add smtp 1.2.3.4>>

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Loïc BLOT <loic.b...@unix-experience.fr>wrote:

> Hello @tech
> Congratulations for the 5.4 release.
>
> I want to explain a draft to improve a little routing administration on
> OpenBSD, maybe for 5.5.
>
> There is a lack on routing daemon, the possibility to change routing
> priorities for some protocols.
> At this time routing priority is a dedicated constant in the kernel.
> In some cases it's useful to change routing priority for a protocol to
> make it prior on another.
>
> To resolve this lack, two ways are possible:
>
> 1. Each routing daemon manage it's own priority itself, instead of using
> kernel priorities, and limits the minimum and maximum value. When we
> change the priority (for example bgpctl routing priority 10) all
> priorities.
> This is easy but a problem appears: the priority can be same as another
> running daemon (ospfd for example). How can we know other routing
> priorities ?
>
> 2. We need to change the utility of routing priority value in the
> messages to another thing: routing type.
> Then when a daemon register a route, he register route for its type
> (BGP/OSPF/RIP/MPLS) and the kernel apply a variable value.
> This value could be modified by sysctl (example sysctl -w
> net.routing.ospf_priority = 10)
> When we change the priority for a protocol, kernel will search all
> routes matching the protocol and apply the priority. Priority conflicts
> must be detected by the kernel.
>
> Do you know it's possible ? Is this interesting for future OpenBSD ?
>
> If OpenBSD team is interest i can start a patch in next weeks.
>
> Thanks for reading
> --
> Best regards,
> Loïc BLOT,
> UNIX systems, security and network engineer
> http://www.unix-experience.fr

/\