> >> How many others have to adopt it before it's considered portable, then?
> >
> > It is portable when all of them have it.  Since you can't fix the past,
> > we must be very conservative in our approach.
>
> In this case `portable' simply means `unavailable'.  And that's good.  :)
> DragonFly has it solely because of the shared FreeBSD history, not because
> it's being used a lot.

We always face a mix of goals:

   - portability (for common tools, don't diverge unless value is high enough)
   - improvements (diverge if the value is high enough)
   - standards (when portability is mandated, strongly follow that)
   - defacto standards (non-official standards also exist)

It takes a pretty big cry to start making changes.  In part that is why
this conversation isn't dead yet.

It is quite telling that FreeBSD added it a long long time ago, and it
has not been adopted elsewhere.  Pushes back against the urgency.

> >> It's possible, as mentioned elsewhere, that simply making tr be
> >> unbuffered by default is the better move, and ignore -u for
> >> compatibility with FreeBSD and Dragonfly BSD.
>
> How will that make things better?

Standing alone, "compatibility with FOO" is not a very strong
argument.  What next, "compatibility with Xenix and Windows"?