On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:31:31PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:48:41 +0100
> > From: Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de>
> >
> > New attempt, now that the userland has been cleaned up.  This diff
> > kills the remaining parts of the COMPAT_43 tty handling in the
> > kernel.  (There are some further network-related COMPAT_43 fragments
> > that are not touched by this.)
> >
> > Comments?  ok?
>
> Noticed TIOCGSID in that list.  Don't think that is a 4.3 compat
> ioctl.  Rather a System V compat ioctl.  Might be useful if we ever
> find the need to implement tcgetsid(3).  There is code in gnulib (the
> GNU portability library) that uses this ioctl to implement
> tcgetsid(3):
>
> https://github.com/gagern/gnulib/blob/master/lib/tcgetsid.c
>
> Not sure if there actually is anything out there that uses it.

Note that tcgetsid(3) is part of posix 2008... I don't see this as
a noxious interface, so I don't see any reason not to keep it...

In ports, devel/ddd uses it as a fallback on systems without setsid.

lang/sbcl checks for it, but it definitely is just wanting to create
a wrapper for it.

(apparently, vala has similar code, just looking thru google).

Oh, hey, and it's in Stevens... so we MUST have it :)