On 2014/02/17 12:56, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> The log entries which are at risk of being printed frequently are
> "hidden" by default, i.e. put behind LOG_DEBUG or similar. It seems to
> me that increasing the "state-limit" counter is just as useful as adding
> a new LOG_DEBUG for this..

Hmm. Well, I was assuming from the name and pfctl(8) description that
it should be "state-limit", but actually it seems that is just used for
max-src-states and this case just falls under "memory" which is not
too descriptive.

I don't see a specific "do we exceed max-states" check, just a
"pool_get failed when trying to get memory for a new state".
I wonder about adding a separate check to give better logging,
though this is code that needs to run *fast*...

The current use of PFRES_MAXSTATES particularly with pfctl's textual
form "state-limit" is definitely a bit confusing.