On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:28, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:

> Rather than that, what about contribute with ideas for this. I believe
> that it's not only FDE unlocking that would benefit of early network. As
> I mentioned before, the possibility of redirecting the console to the
> ssh session is one of them. I believe that there are others. Come on
> guys, I'm not asking for implementation, just want some pointers and
> ideas. I know it would be a very hard task, but I would like the challenge.

If we're going to discuss things that would be useful, I have for
quite some time wanted a kexec() syscall that loads a new kernel and
reboots into it. I think that would be helpful for a variety of tasks,
not least of which is avoiding the four minute BIOS countdown sequence
on overengineered servers.

As for FDE, you'd initially boot to a small, normal OpenBSD
installation. Like an initramfs, but not all scrunched up. You login
via ssh and run "kexec /bsd sr0a:password" or something,
which tells the system to reboot with that kernel, except using softraid
as the root partition.