On 13 May 2014 15:45, Claudio Jeker <cje...@diehard.n-r-g.com> wrote:
> With KAME the MTU size of the loopback interface became strange and is
> actually dependend on the architecture. I see no point in all this
> just go back to the way it was long long long ago and just use 32k as the
> MTU. AFAIK all of this was only done to test large IPv6 packets but why
> MHLEN and MLEN were added is still beyond my imagination.

In fact this comes from this commit in NetBSD originally:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/net/if_loop.c#rev1.20

Comment says "Add MHLEN + MLEN extra space to LOMTU for IP and
transport headers."  This doesn't make me understand why this
is needed however.  So unless this clues you in, I'm OK with
setting it to 32k everywhere.