On Monday, June 16, 2014 18:55 CEST, Miod Vallat <m...@online.fr> wrote:

> > Followings are our kernel variables' default:
> >
> >   - sb_max: 256K
> >   - tcbhash_size: 128
> >   - udbhash_size: 128
> >
> > These variables are sometime too small for busy server or gateway.
> >
> > I'd like to modify config(8) to customize these variables without
> > recompiling the kernel.
>
> If we go this route, I would rather have a generic command (such as "set
> <kernel variable name> <value>") to change kernel variables.
>
> The list of said variables would still be restricted to what a given
> config(8) knows, to prevent people from tinkering with things they are
> not supposed to touch.

at least for sb_max I once sent a patch  to tech@ [1] to change it via sysctl,
but
that was unfortunately rejected ;)
So, I'd still find it easier to change the sysctl than a changing it with
config(8).
But on the other hand, sysctl might be too easy to use for $average user,
and making it only accessible via config(8) may prevent whining users.

cheers,
Sebastian

[1 ] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mailing.openbsd.tech/kMRT8VO2VaA