On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:
> so in a nutshell, mmap(2) was originally a BSD idea and first implemented
> in SunOS?  And there is no doubt that *BSD always had MAP_ANON and never
> MAP_ANONYMOUS and that SunOS primarily defines MAP_ANON and MAP_ANONYMOUS
> only for "/* (source compatibility) */", right?  And that the earliest
> occurence of MAP_ANONYMOUS we found so far is Linux (1994)?  And that
> 4.4BSD was released with MAP_ANON before that (1993)...

I've reaffirmed that OpenBSD's stance is that we'd prefer that
MAP_ANON be standardized, explained the commit history of MAP_ANON and
MAP_ANONYMOUS (thanks Ingo!), and also pointed out that "Advanced
Programming in the UNIX Environment" recommends MAP_ANON:
http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=850#c2299

I'll update the thread if anything new develops.  Next Austin Group
teleconference is July 10.