On 07/11/14 20:06, Lawrence Teo wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 05:46:02PM +0200, Alexander Hall wrote:
On 07/11/14 17:35, Lawrence Teo wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:20:00PM +0200, Alexander Hall wrote:
On 07/10/14 06:30, Lawrence Teo wrote:
About a month ago, I sent a diff that allows ftp(1) to set its
User-Agent.

Based on feedback from halex@ and deraadt@, I have changed it so that
the User-Agent can be set via a -U command-line option instead of an
environment variable.

I have also fixed a conflict with guenther@'s recent fetch.c commit.

Would anyone like to ok this latest version?

I was reviewing this and I couldn't help finding it unnecessarily
cumbersome.

I propose this diff (ontop on the already proposed and committed diff).
Apart from making the code simpler, this diff will change two things:

Thanks for simplifying this.  The original diff used an environment
variable and for consistency with the existing code that deals with
environment variables, I implemented it within auto_fetch().

When I changed it to use a command-line option, I continued implementing
it within auto_fetch() because that was where my original code was. But
as your diff shows, that's unnecessary, so I appreciate your work in
making it less cumbersome.

I agree with your diff except for this part:

1. You may specify -U as many times as you please, using only the last
    one. This is the behavious I'd expect.

What is the use case for specifying multiple -U instances and only
choosing the last one?  To me that sounds like something I would
accidentally do as opposed to something I would intentionally do, so
that's why my code tried to prevent it.

Mainly because that's how I would expect any option to work. -o, just to
give one example.

hmmm.. use case:

getfile() {
        ftp -U 'firefox' "$@"
}

getfile http://foo.bar/baz1
getfile http://foo.bar/baz2

getfile -U 'chrome' http://foo.bar/baz3

Ah, thanks.  I most likely won't use it that way but I see the point.

Well, it was just a made up example, but it serves as an example for having overridable parameters, possibly with specific excaptions.

OK lteo@

committed, thanks.

/Alexander