> getentropy*.c: "cannot call abort() because some systems have unsafe
> corefiles"
> arc4random.c: "if(_rs_allocate(...) == -1) abort();"
>
> Am I missing any difference between the two cases?
> (brain,cvsweb,google+gmane weren't any help)

Policy.

getentropy() should eventually be a lower level intrinsic.  It is an
emulation of a system call on another system (ie. OpenBSD).

arc4random() is written on top of this, it is a standard library
routine.

For example.  Say you wrote a replacement library that had open() and
fopen().  The open should not fatally abort -- it's job is to return
errors.  That is firmly specified -- go read the open() manual page to
get the picture.  But the upper level function, what it does is less
refined and more flexible implementation wise.