> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 23:24, Raf Czlonka wrote:
>
> > While looking into the above I have also noticed that login.conf(5) is
> > machine-dependent, even though it is identical an *all* architectures -
> > it is only different on alpha where the timestamp is off by one second
> > (or two characters):
>
> login.conf is supposed to be machine dependent, although we haven't
> made much use of this facility to date.

Sigh.

It would be nice to have % values, based on something we know about
the architecture ("memory", "speed", "grooviness").  The entire
translation model to create MD files is sufficiently weak that noone
will build anything to leverage it.  On the other hand, if we made it
too capable (turing complete hah), people would over-leverage it,
creating a nightmare that puts people off.  Some more balanced model
is needed, and this MD:MI split is not it.