On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 01:00:18PM GMT, Raf Czlonka wrote:

> When I suspend it with 'machdep.lidsuspend=1' and then 'startx' (hadn't
> actually tried while in X), all I get is black screen. I can change the
> ttys just fine but every time I do Ctrl+Alt+5, the screen turns black.
> I have to exit 'cwm' (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+q), which then quits X and drops me
> to the tty I ran 'startx' on. After starting X and quitting 'cwm'
> several times, I eventually get to see X/cwm.
>
> From what I had observed, this doesn't happen after running 'zzz' with
> 'machdep.lidsuspend=0' but I will double-check this evening (GMT).

OK, I have ran some more tests and this is what I have observed:

1. It doesn't matter whether 'machdep.lidsuspend' is set to 0 or 1 and
whether I use the lid or 'zzz' to suspend the laptop - as long as I run
'zzz' or close the lid while on tty (and X is *not* running) and then
run 'startx' I *always* get black screen.

2. When the system resumes it always displays the console/ttyC0 with USB
resume info - however, I cannot "interact" with console and the
key-presses are being passed to the tty I ran 'zzz'/suspended from.

3. I eventually get to see X/cwm after I do a bit of a "dance" - while
on ttyC3, 'startx', then Ctrl+Alt+F4 (back onto the tty I ran the
command but can be any other tty), back to X (still black) with
Ctrl+Alt+F5 and then quit 'cwm' (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+q), after I'm back on a
tty running 'startx' brings X/cwm just fine (i.e. the screen is not all
black any more.

For some reason, backlight/inverter, does not kick in while X starts
after suspend, unless I do the Ctrl+Alt+... "dance" described above.

Stuart, sorry to piggyback of your initial email - at first, I thought
it might be the same thing - now, I'm not so sure.

Given the description given here and the info (dmesg and acpidump) in my
initial email, shall I still post it to bugs@ again?

Cheers,

Raf