On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Manuel Giraud <man...@ledu-giraud.fr> wrote:
> The following patch replaces the -U flag with a -D flag that forces
> usage of device name in /etc/dumpdates. The default is now to use DUID.
>
> Why?:
>         - dump identification would better be unique
>         - dumpdates is less human readable but not that less if need be

I don't think this the right direction, simply adding a different
option.  To quote what I wrote back in mid March:
    I wonder if it could be made the default by first searching for an
    entry with DUID and lower dump level, and falling back to a device
    name entry if no matching DUID entry was found or if they were just
    for higher dump levels. Once you do a level zero for a DUID it'll
    never look for a device entry again, but during the transition I think
    that strategy would find the same device entries that it would
    otherwise have found.

This will require more invasive work, but will to the Right Thing for
both device and DUID users and will silently and correctly handle the
device->DUID transition.

Philip Guenther