On Tue, 7 Jul 2015, li...@wrant.com wrote:

> > One solution is for pkg_add(1) to silently omit the attempt to copy
> > the package to an unwritable $PKG_CACHE.
>
> The end result with the change proposed would be to hide the problem you
> have with permissions for $PKG_CACHE. In the end you will not be
> caching anything.

You will cache every package you install.  You need to be root to install
a package, and in my test root has write permission even when the write
bit isn't set.  I confirmed also that Perl's '-w' returns true on a
directory even when write permission is completely removed from that
directory.

> Why would your proposed change be the best solution then, when it hides
> the problem, instead of fixing it completely?

It isn't hidden: in my diff, the man page indicates that, for the -n
option, caching is conditional on the directory being writable by the
invoker.