On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Markus Lude <markus.l...@gmx.de> wrote:
> "an" before words not beginning with a vocal occurs quite frequent.
> Should I provide a diff to fix them too?

Hmm, in a quick scan, the only 'an' that looks incorrect to me is "an
u area", which should be "a u-area", as 'u-area' is pronounced like it
starts with 'y'**.

In particular, it's correct to write "an fd" as 'fd' is pronounced as
'eff-dee' and thus starts with a vowel sound.  Ditto for "an RTS5229",
where 'RTS' is spelled out ala "an arr-tee-ess".

Philip Guenther

** to be slightly more precise, the pronunciation of 'u-area' starts
with a palatal approximant (c.f.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_approximant ) consonant, and
thus should be prefixed with 'a' instead of 'an'.  When at the start
of a word that sound is written with a 'y'.