> Nice work!  I wonder why you chose to be so conservative (or arbitrary)
> about the "after 50 failed attempts" condition. :)

My reasoning is that after 50 failed CMD1s, either two things are the
case: The card will only initialize with the sector bit set, or it is
a high capacity device taking a long time to become ready. In either
of these cases, the card will be block/sector addressed anyway.

> Since sector mode is supported by the host software, shouldn't we always
> set the MMC_OCR_SECTOR_MODE bit and check the returned OCR value to see
> if the card also supports sector mode addressing?
>
> Related thread: http://marc.info/?l=linux-mmc&m=129419687808618

That is a good point. I'll fix that.