On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 16:53:12 +0200
Alexandre Ratchov <a...@caoua.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 02:29:03PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On 2015-09-21, Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:
> >
> > > The function that parses funny numbers is iswdigit() which gets a wchar_t.
> > > But sleep(1) doesn't need that.
> >
> > The sole somewhat realistic use of i18n in sleep(1) is the decimal
> > separator, so you could do
> >
> > $ sleep 1,5
> >
> > in an appropriate locale.  Of course the current code doesn't support
> > that.
>
> IMO commands syntax should be considered as "computer language" and
> shouldn't depend on the locale.
>
> In base commands, locale is only meaningful to generate strings
> that won't be parsed by the machine, like text of error messages.

Здравствуйте,

Localised error messages in Russian:

$ humppa
ksh: humppa: не найдено

$ кто humppa
кто: humpa: Команда не найдена.

No really, even native speakers do not want 'misfortunate' translations
and the ambiguity this adds: what the hell were they thinking 'losting
it into transition'...

I don't want error messages or any feedback produced by the machine and
the operating system in any other language than English in C locale,
even if my locale is set to native (non-English).

So, probably you can save the trouble wrapping around such
functionality and consider test of error messages also "computer
language" suitable for (easy) machine parsing.

Another one of those popcorn threads (sorry I'll not post again here
just could not resist to add a non native speaker's opinion about
butchered 'transversion').

С уважением,
Антон