> I'm wondering - how does it affect tools that load several thousands of IPs
> into a table?  Like spamd, bgpd (for spam lists etc.), or pfctl for IP black
> lists (as distributed by ET).
>
> There are valid use cases with HUGE tables, but I have to admit that I didn't
> test your diff yet. Just a concern that loading IPs one after another might
> take forever.

I could measure no difference on sample of 10000 unique IPv4 addresses.
Both (pfr_add_addrs/pfr_add_addr) could load them within 1sec.

pfr_add_addrs:
    # wc -l test.table.pf ; date ; pfctl -t test -T add -f test.table.pf ; date
    100000 test.table.pf
    Mon Nov  9 18:21:18 CET 2015
    1 table created.
    100000/100000 addresses added.
    Mon Nov  9 18:21:19 CET 2015

pfr_add_addr:
Mon Nov  9 18:31:27 CET 2015
    # wc -l test.table.pf ; date ; pfctl -t test -T add -f test.table.pf ; date
    100000 test.table.pf
    Mon Nov  9 18:31:27 CET 2015
    1 table created.  100000/100000 addresses added.
    Mon Nov  9 18:31:28 CET 2015

My test machine is Toshiba Tecra with Centrino 2.

regards
sasha