On 2015-12-16, Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The downside of this diff is that number of levels is limited to 16
> whereas we currently have much finer granularity.  But I think that is
> acceptable.  The levels are probably better calibrated and we now have
> proper coordination between the OS and the firmware when it comes to
> brightness changes.

I'm in favor of this change since it fixes various niggling problems.

FWIW, the 16 levels also scale differently than the previous range.
Stepping through with the brightness keys on my X230, I get
respectively this:

   new     old
  0.00%   1.17%  min
  6.66%   2.34%
 13.33%   3.51%
 20.00%   4.68%
 26.66%   5.88%
 33.33%   7.43%
 40.00%   9.01%
 46.66%  10.97%
 53.33%  12.93%
 60.00%  15.68%
 66.66%  19.60%
 73.33%  25.49%
 80.00%  34.50%
 86.66%  49.01%
 93.33%  72.54%
100.00% 100.00%  max

For instance, if you previously used wsconsctl display.brightness=20%,
you'd now find your display much darker and would want to use 67%
instead.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de