On 2016-03-07, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:

> Consequently, in the interest of safe and sane defaults, i propose
> switching our xterm(1) to enable UTF-8 mode by default.

Seconded.

> The best place to switch is in the setup function VTInitialize_locale()
> that decides whether to enable UTF-8 mode and which supporting flags
> to set, by pretending to it that CODESET is always UTF-8, but without
> interfering with the actual value of the CODESET and without changing
> the utility function xtermEnvUTF8().

Hmm, maybe you are overthinking this.
Other defaults that we set differently from upstream are simply
resource changes to XTerm.ad (/usr/X11R6/share/X11/app-defaults/XTerm).

----
PS:

>   printf "\303\237\n"   # thanks to sobrado@ for the striking example
> Now your local terminal hangs until you force a reset using the
> menus of the xterm program.

\237 is 0x9F, equivalent to ESC _, which is APC (Application Program
Command).  That appears in a table, but is not explained in the
VT220 manual.  The VT420 manual says: "The VT420 ignores all following
characters until it receives a SUB, ST, or any other C1 control
character."

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de