>Note that the existing code would have worked just fine if mmap
>returned MAP_FAILED for W^X violations instead of terminating the
>program.  Not entirely sure what the long-term plans are.

Yeah, I am not sure of the long-term plans yet either.  In discussions
with the ports people the idea was fail-hard behaviour for a while,
then we'll try error returns for a while, and maybe we need to see-saw
a few times.  The approach is still very focused on creating awareness
amongst the "right people" who can fix things.