* Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> [2016-06-21 11:15]:
> Generally, I would appreciate more detailed error messages from the pf.conf
> parser. I recall several occasions where pfctl threw "syntax error" and more
> specific error reporting would have saved me some time with finding the
> silly mistake I made. And in this case the ruleset loads successfully even
> though, while parsing, we already know it's not going to work as intended...

true, that's shared by all yacc-style parsers, if the grammar doesn't
match you just get syntax error without much of a hint what's wrong.

however, the ruleset in this case does NOT load.

<brahe@quigon>  $ echo '"a macro with spaces"="foo"\npass from $a\ macro\ with\
spaces"' | pfctl -nvf -
a macro with spaces = "foo"
stdin:2: macro 'a' not defined
stdin:2: syntax error

> Only as long as it doesn't make the parser code overly complex, of course.
> But currently the balance is tilted too much towards terse error messages
> for my taste. So I liked benno's first diff.

it's just a tiny check indeed, which swings the "cost" (not in
financial terms) vs benefit pendulum towards the benefit side, yes.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP