I think the question is how shold mg behave in a cornercase situation
where mg is running but cannot be used in any meaningful fashion (as a
text editor). In the case of mg being run with only two lines
available to it, what should it do?

1. do nothing, just show the bottom 1 or 2 lines (minibuffer
and/or modeline) and allow all other functions.

2."suspend" from taking input but output a message similar to "Display
unusable" until the lines available to mg increas to >2. (Although
perhaps the ability to save files/exit mg would also be available, in
case the screen cannot be increased!)

Personally, I would choose 1. Most simple I think. However, are there
any other opinions?

Mark