On 11/09/16(Sun) 15:10, Mike Burns wrote:
> On 2016-09-11 16.14.44 +0200, Frank Groeneveld wrote:
> > I've also made some progress regarding the scaling bug. It seems the
> > device is not properly detached from Xorg when it is unplugged, because
> > the log starts getting spammed with loads of messages like this:
> >
> > [   202.482] (EE) ws: wacom: read error Input/output error
> >
> > When I create an xorg.conf that only contains the wsmouse device of the
> > Wacom tablet and disabled all other wsmouse devices,  I cannot controle
> > the device anymore after plugging it in again. Without the xorg.conf I
> > can control it, but with the wrong scale.
> >
> > I think this difference is caused by the fact that the "all containing"
> > /dev/wsmouse is still passing data to Xorg for the Wacom device, but
> > the tablet specific /dev/wsmouse1 device is not. Switchting to a console
> > somehow forces Xorg to reopen the /dev/wsmouse1 device which results in
> > a working mouse pointer (or in good scaled mouse pointer movement in the
> > case of not using an xorg.conf file to disable other wsmouse devices).

I just committed your driver, with some tweaks in the manpage.

> > Does anybody see why the ws driver start to print these errors? Am I
> > missing an important call on detachment?
>
> It is quite likely related to this discussion:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=140529029513846&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=140589215905202&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=141676273919602&w=2

Indeed.  This is a common issue to all WSMOUSE_TYPE_TPANEL pointers.

If you're interested in fixing this problem you should look at X11
ws(4) driver.  If you can modify the driver and the wscons(4) layer
such that it isn't necessary to open a different node to calibrate
your device then plugging a device after starting a Xserver wouldn't
be a problem.

Cheers,
Martin