wont this also mean if it is not running i have to wait for the localhost
attempt to fail before the resolver moves on? (ASR_STATE_NEXT_NS, etc) so i
slow everything down for a timeout?

dont get me wrong, it is an interesting direction, but I think maybe get
the rest of the five line changes into rebound to make it useful and then
look at libc which might need slightly more cleverness than just adding
localhost unconditionally.