On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 02:02:12PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Matthieu Herrb <matth...@herrb.eu> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 12:46:41PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Here's the update to FreeType 2.7 (a gzipped diff is also attached).
> >>
> >> The biggest change is that now Subpixel hinting, also known as
> >> ClearType hinting, is enabled by default.
> >>
> >> As usual, a ports bulk build is appreciated.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not really sure that the bumping of the major revision of
> > libfontconfig, libXft and libXfont is needed or will help with out of
> > date packages. Can you explain ?
>
> We did this before.
> Yes, it's to avoid problems like the message below.

Unfortunatly it will not avoid all of them. For now, after upgrading
xenocara, but with packages still linked to freetype.26 I get this
from firefox:

firefox:/usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.26.0: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.27.0
: WARNING: symbol(af_blue_strings) size mismatch, relink your program

For the extra major bumps to be useful in this situation, ld.so
would need to only load the revisions of the libs that the program was
linked against, and ignore the more recent versions But with dlopen()
which doesn't do versionning it won't be trivial.

--
Matthieu Herrb