Hey,

On 11/23/16 13:27, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Booting the UEFI version of the install.fs works fine and also the
> install works but i am unable to boot the server. According the the
> datacenter this happens because OpenBSD does not write an entry in the
> mainboards firmware UEFI bootlist and simply asumes a fallback to
> /boot/bootx64.efi. But according to the datacenter this mainboard does
> not have that fallback and simply does not know what to boot.
That sounds correct.

> So maybe it would be a good idea to write an entry in the UEFI bootmenu.
> I would love to provide a dmesg but sadly this is very dificult to get
> from this crappy remote vnc console i have to use to install stuff on
> the server. But i am working on getting a dmesg to you guys.
Unfortunately writing such an entry isn't trivial.  To do this from
within the installer, we'll need to write code to call the UEFI
runtime services from the OpenBSD kernel.

hmm yeah. This sounds like a very complicated task. Basically everything related to UEFI is much more complicated than it should to be.

I am by far not an expert on this issue but as i see it i have two options.

1: Boot a random Linux image and use a tool there to write an OpenBSD entry in the UEFI bootlist that points to /boot/bootx64.efi.

2: Wait for one of you guys to implement this stuff in the OpenBSD installer. I looked around a bit, maybe its not as hard as it seams. When i read this (https://github.com/rhinstaller/efibootmgr) here correctly simply forcing an entry into the bootlist should be possible with that code there. Maybe this helps.

What do you think about this? What would you guys recommend for the future?

Thanks and greetings
Leo