Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> It seems that most of the problems exposed by the introduction of the
> NET_LOCK() are related to the non-recursive nature of the rwlock.  Some
> known issues involve pflow(4), cloning interfaces an NFS.
>
> Diff below makes use of a recursive-rwlock instead.  I just finished a
> build on NFS with it, so I'd like to know if it works for your use case.

I don't want to interfere with progress, so if you think this is best, carry
on.

But I'll note that using recursive locks leads to sloppy locking discipline,
which is exactly how we find ourselves in this mess today. Need the lock? Not
sure? Grab it anyway.

The rrwlock was added for the particular use case of vfs locking, which is
already a recursive cluster fuck, but wasn't supposed to be used for new code.
Of course, the network stack also qualifies as legacy code, so can't object
much to using it there either.

I imagine you've already thought of this. :)