Sun, 15 Jan 2017 14:04:01 +0000 Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
> > > There has been a privious discussion on this list on this topic [5]
> > > where tedu@ mentions, that this issue is irrelevant once you get a
> > > decent display with a higher DPI (or use bitmap fonts), which is of
> > > course true [6].  But at least for me, at work we still have (and buy)
> > > new monitors that have a DPI of 96 (e.g. Dell U2412M).  On these
> > > displays, bitmap fonts are too tiny for me and don't scale well, so
> > > subpixel rendering with enabled lcd filter really makes a difference.
>
> btw it is "li...@wrant.com" not tedu writing that. good for him/her
> to have a 27" high DPI display but I agree with you here.

Hi Stuart, Nils,

Synopsis:  No objections, please proceed, give sharpest contour fonts.
           My displays are same DPI as yours, I need single dot fonts.

My 27" is a Dell U2711, with about 107 x 108 DPI, which is technically
quite the same range as my 10" mobile Asus EEE-PC 1005AH and the older
17" LG L1750SQ monitors quite similar to the very one above mentioned.
This is to say we are in the same set of technical provisioning tools.

These may and will change in the next decades to come, but unless you,
or somebody else, please point to me an affordable ~400 DPI monitor at
a desktop size of about 27" (or similar), don't name it high DPI, yet.

I use the default bitmap font for Xterm, and everywhere else possible,
with slight variation where I can not figure how to do so, to Terminus
and DejaVu, for some less than correct functionally graphics programs.

I would prefer the programs were able to use the bitmap fonts as well.
Or if not bitmap, but vector fonts, to use single pixel font contours.
I would prefer to not have to go through many configurations to do so.

The bitmap fonts are indeed small and pixel perfect, this is precisely
the next best reason why I'm stuck with them, the primary though being
the Unicode support that comes by default with them, as part of M.Kuhn
coordinated efforts for character representation in X, and other work.

These pixel perfect bitmap fonts are quite sharp, and precise at ~0.5m
viewing distance and allow me to stick a lot of information on the 27"
primary screen, which is the becoming norm in desktop monitors screens
resulting in cost savings, eye sight preservation, and painless usage.
It is a matter of personal preferences, and also of physique & costs..

I have no objections to implementing the proposed or any other similar
improvements, to any aspect of the system, here sub-pixel and/or anti-
aliasing techniques.  Please, do not change, the default pixel perfect
or any sharp rendering capabilities, as this will cause many more folk
to lose their eye sight sharpness at close distance prematurely early.

I would insist to keep the sharp single pixel fonts available and pre-
selected as default up to resolutions of 2-4x the current widest range
of representations of about 100 DPI, for the classic desktop monitors.

Yet, I have absolutely NONE objection for the ability to go from these
default pixel perfect fonts, to the smudged uneven contour fonts where
people choose so to make better use of their diminishing eyesight or..
rather become equipped with a much higher resolution displays than the
current about 100 DPI.  Precisely the fact we're now at this stage, of
about 100 DPI, including me makes me want to use the single pixel wide
contour fonts, no matter bitmap or vector ones.  Which is the topic of
my post, to clarify current low DPI (and not high) including mine, are
forcing me to use the thinnest possible font,  and I want to continue.

Please keep me updated on this and I've no objections to improvements.
I would be glad to read more insights and suggestions on these topics.

Thank you all for the wonderful work and contributions which allow me,
and many other folk, to use sane defaults, with minimum investments in
hardware and time to learn, and stay current with our OpenBSD systems.

P.S.  What I think worth noting to X developers though is attention to
better support for two or more screens with different DPI as displays.
These must keep their independent of each other DPI and not get mixed.
Currently vector fonts change their physical size based on mixing DPI.

Kind regards,
Anton