On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 05:14:00AM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> Artturi Alm <artturi....@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i think i've noted about this before, around 13months ago freebsd
> > first disabled alignment faults, and they haven't enabled them since.
> > deja vu, or not, i don't recall if the last diff like below did go
> > anywhere, nor if it got discussed about, so i'm sorry in advance,
> > if i'm banging my head to the wall with this one.
>
> AFAIK we're rather headed towards strict alignement rules whenever
> possible.

Yep, kind of presumed so, and should of have studied the issue further,
to find out that it was just the git, which i needed most at the time.

> > and indeed, even git is unusable without this (on latest snapshot w/git
> > installed from packages), 'git branch' did happen to be the only command
> > of the few i tried,
> > that didn't end up into SIGBUS, but even it fails reliably w/-v..
>
> They messed up their new sha1 implementation.  Should be fixed with
> git-2.13.1p0, git-2.13.2 works fine here.

Thanks for the info, diff withdrawn, and it's sysctl-knob-diff version rm'd.

> --
> jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

I understand why this alignment correctness is wanted, and appreciate it's
performance winnings, exposure to bugs etc., i just got fooled by having not
been user of armv7 for around an year or so, and git was the first and only
package i had installed when i sent out the diff while being under false
impression of current. sheer bad luck w/regards timing to hit the bug in git.

-Artturi