On Mon, Nov 06 2017, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <j...@wxcvbn.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 05 2017, Job Snijders <j...@openbsd.org> wrote:
>>> Goodmorning everyone,
>>>
>>> While quite some resizing scenarios can be done from within single user
>>> mode, resizing the root partition requires you to bring your own
>>> growfs(8) binary into the ramdisk environment. The below patch adds
>>> growfs(8) to the amd64 ramdisk to simplify such operations.
>>>
>>> I tested this on amd64 by building full releases with and without the
>>> patch to compare sizes, and by actually growing partitions from within
>>> bsd.rd.
>>
>> A quick test went fine for me too.
>>
>>> Adding growfs to the crunched binary adds roughly 16 kilobytes, leaving
>>> 365K of free space in the the ramdisk's root. I think it's worth it, but
>>> would appreciate feedback from others.
>>
>> I think it's a good idea.  I don't know exactly how constrained the
>> ramdisks are on amd64, but maybe this should be added in a place where
>> it won't affect floppy62.fs.  (ramdisk_cd/list.local, I guess.)
>
> At the risk of stating the obvious: constrained ramdisks tend to break
> often because of lack of space, so adding new features on them should be
> done carefully; I'm not sure the growsfs functionality is worth the
> trouble.

Sorry, my statements can be interpreted as contradictory.  Hopefully
clearer:

I'm not sure the growfs functionality is worth the trouble *for
space-constrained ramdisks*, but it would be nice to have growfs on
regular ramdisks.

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE